Industrial office designs refer to an interior design trend that takes inspiration from old factories and industries that had been abandoned in the recent past owing to the modern revolution. The typical components reminiscent of the industrial era include tall ceilings, exposed brick walls, bulky pipes, beams and ducts along with worn-out wood and metallic furniture. In contrast to modern workplace designs, Industrial design embraces the utilitarian nature of the building and focuses on them rather than concealing them. If you are looking forward to applying this style to your office space, here are some useful tips by ‘HNI India’ on how you can go about it. HNI India is one of the finest & best known office chairs manufacturers in Mumbai, Pune, and Delhi among the rest of cities of India.
1. Exposing the Elements
If there is a classic group of elements that aptly represents an industrial design, it has to be the exposed pipes, ducts, and bricked walls. These serpentine giant pipes and ducts crawling across paint stripped walls literally have ‘industrial design’ written all over them. This feature also happens to be an economical saver of sorts when converting former factories into modern offices or restaurants as it completely eliminates the expense of concealing. However, such a design can only be applied justifiably to spacious places and cannot be forced into a cramped urban space. There are various other hacks that work for smaller office spaces - let’s check further.
2. Using the Right Color Scheme
A natural color palette works best for an industrial feel. Use rustic and neutral colors such as shades of grey, pale whites, mossy green, brick red, and hues of blues. The use of contrasting colors like black or yellow also adds an amazingly bold statement. The idea is to make the room appear larger and more connected.
3. Choosing the Right Office Furniture
Office chairs and tables occupy most of the floor & visual space in any workplace, which is why they play a crucial role in setting up the office landscape. When it comes to industrial seating, you have many options. Quirky and classic furniture pieces work well, offsetting the bare & elementary features of the building. Cafe chairs & tables can come in all-metal options as well as those that have a metal frame and wood/leather seats. While going with the theme is important, comfort should never be compromised as the productive work environment is the primary purpose of a workplace. Here are a few furniture recommendations by HNI which can go well with the industrial design:
• Ingage: The ‘Ingage’ office furniture collection, preferred for the lounge and reception area, has a fabric and design that beautifully complements the industrial backdrop. The wooden legs that support the beautifully cushioned rounded & smooth seating make for a classic yet contemporary look. You can find them here:
• Forum: The ‘Forum’ collection by HNI is an excellent example. This Leather Finish office sofa, reminiscent of the industrial times, is a perfect blend of sleek and smartness with a modular design. The soft seating and the metallic feet, it is an ideal piece, especially, for collaborative offices. They can work as stand-alone furniture pieces and can also be integrated seamlessly with Panel/Desk system. Find them here:
• Lyric: The ‘Lyric’ chairs go pretty well with the industrial layout. Their lean metallic frame, meshed seating and crude color are a perfect ode to the bygone industrial era. You also get to customize with optional lumbar, large and tall models, and a variety of user controls. Visit the page:
• Verta: Designed keeping the Asian body types in mind, this V – shaped wishbone design chair having a light triangular shape, adds structure and strength while allowing flexibility. The leatherette finish complements the industrial design. Find them here
When implemented correctly, all of these elements can collectively help give the office a warehouse-ish feel which is the ultimate goal of industrial office design.If having a broad outlook, larger than life goals and a sturdy frame of mind is your business mantra, industrial designs will definitely do justice to your aspirations. Give a postmodern ode to the era gone by and add a ‘lost world’ charm to your workplace with Industrial design.Visit HNI India to start revamping your office space today!